Abalone & Edamame Takikomi Rice
Recipe by Takaaki Komagata,
Kiri Japanese Restaurant Owner Chef
Ingredients (4 - 5 servings):
- 3 pieces Ausab Premium Australian Abalone, defrosted in the refrigerator overnight
- 300g frozen shelled edamame beans
- 600g medium grain rice, thoroughly washed and drained
- 1 large kombu sheet
- 1L water
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 1/3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 6g salt
- Clean the abalone.
- Kombu dashi stock - Set the water and kombu sheet in a sauce pan under low heat for about 5 minutes. Add the sake, mirin, salt, light soy sauce, and soy sauce, and remove the kombu from the stock.
- Place the rice in a rice cooker. Add the kombu dashi stock according to the level specified by the rice cooker (approx. 860ml). Cook the rice.
- Boil the edamame and drain. Remove the beans from their shells.
- Thinly slice the abalone. Once the rice is cooked add the abalone and edamame in. Close the lid again and leave it for about 5 minutes.