Abalone, Prawn and Okra in Dashi Jelly
Recipe by Takaaki Komagata,
Kiri Japanese Restaurant Owner Chef
Ingredients (4 - 5 servings):
- 2 pieces Ausab Premium Australian Abalone, defrosted in the refrigerator overnight
- 2 prawns, peeled and cleaned
- 4 fresh okra pods
- 10g gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water
- 500ml dashi (bonito stock)
- 1 teaspoon sake
- 5 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons mirin
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of vinegar
- 4 teaspoons salmon caviar
- 1 small piece of ginger, grated
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 5 small shiso leaves, finely chopped
- Clean the abalone and thinly slice.
- Place the dashi into a saucepan, set over low heat, and add the sake, soy sauce, light soy sauce, mirin and salt.
- Add the gelatine to the dashi and stir until the gelatine fully dissolves. Remove the mixture from the heat, strain and set aside to cool in a refrigerator.
- Blanch the abalone very quickly, drain and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Add a pinch of salt and a dash of vinegar to a pot of boiling water and cook the prawns for 3 minutes. Drain and cut into small chunks.
- Scrub the okra with salt and boil for about 2 minutes. Drain and slice them.
- Lay the abalone, prawns and okra into glasses and carefully pour the dashi mixture over. Refrigerate them over night.
- Serve the set jelly with salmon caviar, shiso, ginger and spring onion on top.