Abalone Steak with Liver Butter Sauce
Recipe by Takaaki Komagata,
Kiri Japanese Restaurant Owner Chef
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 4 pieces Ausab Premium Australian Abalone, defrosted in the refrigerator overnight
- 4 broccolini spears
- 5g dried, ready-to-use wakame, soaked in cold water until softens
- Dried iwanori (or nori)
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to season
- Clean the abalone (keep the liver for the sauce).
- Place the melted butter into a bowl and pass the abalone liver through a sieve. Add the soy sauce and mix all together.
- Boil the broccolini and drain.
- Score shallow diagonal cuts on the surface of the abalone meat and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Place the abalone in the pan with the scored side down, and cook for 1 minute. Cook the flip side for 30 seconds. Spoon the liver butter mix on top of the abalone and cook further for 30 seconds. Remove the abalone from the pan and fry the broccolini in the same pan.
- Arrange the wakame and broccolini on a plate or in shell and place the abalone on top. Serve with the chopped spring onion and dried iwanori.