Beer Braised Abalone
with Pearl Barley
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 6 pieces of Ausab Premium Australian Abalone, defrosted in the refrigerator overnight, or canned abalone
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) of beer
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tomato, diced
- 50gm pearl barley (soaked overnight)
- 1 lemon sliced, to serve
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced)
- Clean the abalone and slice the meat into ½ cm thick pieces.
- Heat oil in a medium sized oven-proof pan (with lid), over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, followed by the abalone, cooking for a further minute.
- Add the beer, honey, tomato and barley and stir.
- Cover with lid then place in preheated oven to cook for 1 ½ hours or until the abalone is very tender.
- Serve the abalone on the barley with a squeeze of fresh lemon and chopped parsley.