Baby Abalone Pan Fried
with Japanese Seven Spice
- 24 whole-in-shell baby abalone, defrosted in the refrigerator overnight
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teasoon Japanese Seven Spice (Shichimi Togarashi)
- Rinse the thawed abalone in shell under cold water.
- Heat sunflower oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli, cooking until lightly coloured.
- Add the abalone, meat side down and cook until meat starts to caramelise. Turn the abalone shell side down, add the remaining ingredients.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, place a lid on, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until abalone meat is cooked through.
Note: for an added flavour sensation remove the meat from the shell and eat it whole with the gut.